Information About Career with Biology
Jobs directly related to your degree
Here is a list of biology-related jobs. Use the links to investigate them further and find out which best correspond to your interests. You may have to gain further skills or do further study to enter and/or progress in some of these professions:
• Research scientist (life sciences) - analyses and interprets the results of experiments and field work and communicates findings to the scientific community by methods ranging from presentations at seminars and conferences to publishing work in specialist literature.
• Research scientist (medical) - plans and conducts experiments to increase the body of scientific knowledge on topics related to medicine and may also aim to develop new, or improve existing, drugs or other medicine-related products.
• Pharmacologist - investigates how drugs and chemicals interact with biological systems. A pharmacologist’s aim is to understand drugs and their actions so they can be used effectively and safely. Pharmacologists also carry out research to aid drug development.
• Secondary school teacher - teaches one or more subjects to classes of pupils aged 11-16 or 11-18. The subjects are determined by the national curriculum but how they are taught depends on the professional judgment of the teacher.
• Soil scientist - interprets and evaluates soil and soil-related information to understand how soil contributes to agricultural production, environmental quality, human health issues, climate change and biodiversity.
• Clinical molecular geneticist - uses biochemical and molecular biology techniques to identify genetic abnormalities associated with disease. Individuals are screened both before and after the appearance of symptoms.
• Nature conservation officer- works to protect, manage and enhance the local environment, including promoting and implementing local and national biodiversity action plans in partnership with statutory and voluntary organisations.
Jobs where your degree would be useful
For non-biology-related jobs it is your skills and interests that will drive you towards particular career areas. You may have to do further study or demonstrate particular skills and experience gained through voluntary or paid work to enter these professions:
• Programme researcher, broadcasting/film/video - provides research support to the producer and production team for film, television and radio productions, either working on a wide variety of programmes or within one subject area.
• Pensions adviser - works as part of the financial services sector, providing advice on various aspects of pensions to organisations and individuals to help them ensure their future financial provision. The advice offered may include current financial status, type of scheme and contribution levels.
• Education administrator - organises and oversees administrative activities and systems that support and facilitate the smooth running of an education institution. The majority are based in higher or further education (HE or FE), but opportunities are increasingly available in schools and private colleges.
• - manages the learning of an organisation's workforce. The training element of the work gives staff the knowledge, understanding, practical skills and motivation to carry out particular work-related tasks.
"This information is extracted from prospectus.ac.uk with the permission to reproduce."
Other Career Opportunities
Psychology : Your Career In
Job options with Psychology
Politics : Your Career In
Job options with Politics
Physics : Your Career In
Job Options with Physics
Mathematics : Your Career In
Job Option with Mathematics
International relations : Your Career In
Job Options with International relations
Law : Your Career In
Law Job Options
Civil Engineering: Your Career In
Civil Engineering Job Options
Business Study: Your Career in
Job options with Business Study
Civil Engineering : Your Career In
Job Options with Civil Engineering
Agriculture : Your Career In
Job options with Agriculture
Sociology : Your Career In
Job Options with Sociology
Humanities : Your Career In
Job Options with Humanities
Hospitality management/hotel and catering : Job options
Job option with Hospitality management/hotel and catering : Job options
Geography : Your Career In
Job option with Geography
Health Studies : Career In
Job Option in Health Studies
History : Your Career In
Job options with History
English: Your Career In
Job options with English
Education : Your Career in
Job Option with Education
Economics: Your Career
Job options with Economics
Computer science/IT : Your Career
Your Career with the subject Computer science/IT
Chemistry : Your Career
Your career and job option in Chemistry
Business Study: Your Carrer
Career in Business Study
Career with Biology
Jobs options with Biology
Your career in Anthropology
Accountancy and finance : Job options
Your Career with Accountacny and Finance